Sunday, April 22, 2018

I Feel Pretty

I Feel Pretty is about a woman named Renee Bennett (Amy Schumer) who lacks any confidence in herself due to her looks and the way she thinks society views her. After she falls and hits her head, however, he wakes believing she is the most beautiful woman in the world, and nothing can bring her down, except for hitting her head again...

I Feel Pretty is the Freaky Friday of 2018. It's a feel good movie that has a powerful message for any and all women in this world. I'm used to Schumer being the hilarious comic that she is, but this was different. This movie had its funny moments, but that wasn't the purpose of the film. The purpose was to tell every woman that she is beautiful and you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to simply by believing in yourself.

Every girl, whether she is big or small, heavy or skinny, has that one crack in self-esteem. There is something wrong with all of us, at least in our own heads. My eyes have dark circles under them, my hair looks bad today, this shirt makes me feel fat. These are all mental perceptions that we put on ourselves, but does the person across the room see them? Probably not, but we let ourselves believe that they do, and therefore we lack the confidence we need to control any or all situations.

I Feel Pretty spoke to me pretty deeply, and I won't lie, I teared up a bit. I have always been the bigger girl. I have hips and I have curves, and I've always let those curves bring me down. I still remember breaking down in tears when my dad was joking around with me saying you got the family figure. He was right, and I let my lack of confidence break me. But here I now stand (or sit currently), a 26 year old, dog-mom to 2, successful woman who bought her own house at age 25 and is making her life be everything that she wants it to be. I am Me and I am strong, and I am beautiful. Society can view me differently if they so choose, but that won't determine how I see myself.

There's a quote that I heard a couple years ago that has really stuck with me. It is credited to have been said by Dr. Seuss, but there is no written evidence to prove that. The quote says, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." I hope that any woman that reads this blog and that sees this movie really hears what that quote is saying, and that you choose to live by it, as I have.

Anyone that rates this movie as low as a 1 or 3 (yes I mean you IMDb reviewers!) should be ashamed of themselves.  I'm sorry this isn't a funny comedy for you and that you somehow missed the important message it's trying to tell. You're probably the cause of women feeling like dirt. Tell me...do you have anything better to do than review movies all day? Or do you just enjoy tearing down scores to movies so that women won't see them? Get a real job....

No comments:

Post a Comment