Saturday, June 23, 2018

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is the fifth Jurassic Park movie to hit theaters. When the volcano on Isla Nublar becomes an active volcano, Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) starts a campaign to save the dinosaurs. She enlists Owen's (Chris Pratt's) help to save Blue and as many other species as possible. When saving the dinosaurs from the volcano turns into a rescue mission to save them from Lockwood's partner, Eli Mills (Rafe Spall), everything takes a turn for the worse.

For those of you that know me, you know I love dinosaurs. I have my degree in geology and would gladly work in paleontology. So, I have a giant soft spot for Jurassic Park movies. This one was no different. I loved it from start to finish. Yes, it had its weak moments, but to me Jurassic World does no wrong. I mean it's dinosaurs and Chris Pratt in tight pants people! Count me in.

One of the best parts of this film is that it brought me through a lot of different emotions. I nearly cried at multiple parts through the movie. Volcano vs. Dinosaurs? What are you doing to me J.A. Bayona (the director)?! Why???? They were pulling on my heart strings and I nearly caved. So, if you tend to cry at movies, come prepared. Luckily for me, it ended relatively fast, so I was able to hold in the tears.



Another thing that I love about the Jurassic World films is that they always reference the originals. Elevator shaft door not closing? Woman with a hurt leg banging metal on metal to get the raptors attention? I see what you did there. Can't get that past me. Same metal noise too? Heck yes! Thank you for remaining true to the films we all love. Those references bring us all back and we love you for them.

Now, to talk about the unbelievable parts. Warning, spoilers may follow (in this paragraph only). Lava does not move that fast. I'm sorry to tell you this, but I have walked on an active volcano before. I stuck a tent stake into that lava flow on Hawaii and then watched it dry and took it home. So, an island does not get covered that quickly. Especially an island that size. If it did move that fast, the entire island of Hawaii's big island would be covered and no one would still be there. Then, the actors jumped into the water right off the island and were just fine. If lava is flowing into the waters off the island, that water will be very warm. Chris Pratt was doing just fine though, and oh my gosh does he have some professional level swimming skills. Holding your breath for the amount of time he did is amazing, and then to have the thinking skills to fire a gun under the water? Wow. That man is something special. Honestly, out of this entire film, the underwater scene was the most unbelievable and silly. We all know you aren't going to kill the main characters. Don't put stupid scenes in there where the CGI can't be as good.

IMDb has this movie rated at a 6.7/10 and Rotten Tomatoes has a score of 62%. I read a few of the other reviewers opinions, and you know how much I love roasting them. The most common complaint I saw is that the plot line is predictable and that the character development was horrible. My response to these reviews? *Insert hand smacking face here.* I just need to ask, who goes to the Jurassic World movies to see character development? It's a movie about dinosaurs.....not people. Why did that actor do or say what he/she did? Because that's what it said to do/say in the script. I don't want to see their whole entire life story. I don't care. The only thing I care about is whether Blue is going to live or die. Forget the people. Oh, and a predictable plot? Come on! I already said we can't kill the main characters. What did you think was going to happen when the movie description says we are going to save dinosaurs?! Why we need to save dinosaurs that we created anyway, I don't know, but that's what this movie is about. I loved the plot because for the first time I understood why the new sequels were called Jurassic World instead of Jurassic Park. If for no other reason, that right there is why you should see this movie. It is finally coming all together and this will not be the end. I personally cannot wait to see the finale that must be in the works now. Blue, my beautiful raptor girl (with your lack of feathers), I shall see you again soon.


What raptors should look like...


No comments:

Post a Comment