Monday, September 10, 2018

The Nun

Prequel to The Conjuring and Conjuring 2, The Nun takes place in Romania in 1952. A priest with a background in exorcisms, played by Demian Bichir, and a young woman about to take her vows to be a nun (Taissa Farmiga), are sent to investigate the death of a nun at the abbey. What they discover is an abbey haunted by an evil presence, and grounds that are anything but holy.


I am a fan of the Conjuring series, and have been from the beginning. I see a lot of horror movies, and for some reason, the Conjuring always stood out. The Nun is no exception. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I wouldn't say it is the scariest movie I've ever seen, but it was still really good. Most of the scares come from the unexpected appearances that made me jump every time. My only dislike in the movie overall was that it was very dark the entire time. If you were to watch this at home in the middle of the day, good luck seeing anything. At times, I thought to myself that the lights along the walkways in the theater were too bright, but if that was the only problem, oh well.

For some reason, reviewers are hating on this movie. IMDb gave this a 6/10 and Rotten Tomatoes is at a 48% audience score. I would have given it a 7 or 8 out of 10. Reading through those reviews left me just as stumped. Some people were laughing at the Nun (played by Bonnie Aarons) and saying that the scares were predictable. Who are you people? That nun is creepy AF. If that thing was coming towards me in a creepy corridor I'd scream and run, but not you. No, you can stand there and laugh and be eaten by her. As long as it's not me! Yes, I will say some of the scares were predictable. We all watched the previews multiple times and knew that nun was coming from the side of the screen, but I still jumped. No matter how much I prep for these movies, I'm a jumpy person. Maybe you aren't, so you won't find this movie as creepy as I did, but my friends that aren't jumpy still loved this movie. One even said he'd buy it when it comes out on DVD sooooo yea...

The Nun came out on September 7, so that was 4 days ago. Anyone want to take a guess at the box office numbers?? The production budget was pretty similar to all the others in the series at around $22 million. That's two million more than the Conjuring (just for reference). The box office has brought in close to $54 million in the last 4 days alone. The Conjuring brought in a little over $137 million in its entirety. In four days, this movie has brought in close to 40% of the box office numbers for the Conjuring. So while all you haters are out there rating movies super low, the rest of the world doesn't care. If you enjoyed the previous movies, then you will enjoy this one as well.

My favorite part by far was how it wrapped around to the other stories. We finally get to see where it all began. The tie-in at the very end was perfect. I have always loved Ed and Lorraine Warren's story of exorcisms and creepy dolls that come to life, and the Nun shows us exactly how they came to be involved with the Perron family from the first film. It was beautifully done, and I don't think I could have seen a better ending. Please give this one a shot. I promise that if you liked the Conjuring and Conjuring 2, then you will like this one too. Just don't expect to wet yourself with the scares. Unless you pee when you jump at scares, then bring a diaper...

No comments:

Post a Comment