Tuesday, September 25, 2018

A Simple Favor

Emily Nelson (played by Blake Lively) has always lived a secretive and secluded life. When she finally allows Stephanie Smothers (Anna Kendrick) into her life, they become quick friends. Then, Emily asks Stephanie to pick up her son from school one day, and never comes to get him. Everyone thinks Emily is gone on another one of her secret trips, except Stephanie. Stephanie goes on a mission to find her new best friend, and finds herself mixed up in something she never saw coming.

I am a huge Anna Kendrick fan, but I can't remember ever seeing a preview for this movie. I don't think it was overly advertised (at least not in Tulsa). When I finally heard about it, I knew I had to see it, and I wasn't disappointed...but I wasn't blown away either. It was a good movie. It starts out like a comedy with some good jokes from Blake and Anna. Then it goes on and slowly gets darker and more serious. There were moments where I was left wondering what was going to happen next. Blake Lively's character is super dark and super creepy, and next to Anna Kendrick's light, silly character, you're left on the edge of your seat.

Reviews are pretty good for this one. IMDb says 7.2/10 and Rotten Tomatoes is at an 81%. I probably would've rated it around a 6/10. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away. It wasn't one that I was left in shock and awe over, and it's not one I'll be rushing to the stores to buy. I did really love the ending. The way it ended made it seem like this was based on a true story, saying "where they are now." It's not a true story, but it is a book. Darcey Bell wrote and published the book about a year ago. It is her first and only published novel in her career. I can only assume the book is amazing and a huge hit since it was picked up and transformed into a movie within a year. That's really fast for movie-making, but there really isn't any special effects that would make production take longer.

Don't have much else to say about this one. Short, sweet, and to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment