Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Kin

When Jimmy Solinski (Jack Reynor) is released from prison, his father and adopted brother don't have high hopes for his future. Jimmy has people to pay off from before his arrest and no money to pay them with, so he falls back on old ways. Him and his adopted brother Eli (Myles Truitt), end up on the run from a gang led by Taylor Balik (James Franco). What they don't know is that they are also running from a mysterious group of soldiers that are searching for an otherwordly weapon Eli found in an abandoned warehouse.

I saw the trailer for this movie maybe two times before I went to see it. This was not one that was overly advertised, which was surprising since it has so many big names. Dennis Quaid, James Franco, Zoe Kravitz, and others all play important roles in this film. I'm also pretty sure that there will be sequels, even if I'm not sure they deserve to make them.

From the previews, I thought I was walking into a Sci-Fi movie. It is in fact listed as an Action, Sci-Fi movie on IMDb. What I got was a heck of a lot of talking, some action scenes here and there, and an amazing ending that left me wondering what in the world I just witnessed. Never in my imagination did I think I would be sitting in the theater for an hour and a half before watching fifteen minutes of action/sci-fi. Where was the action?! Where was the Sci-Fi?! I feel like if you're going to classify a movie as Sci-Fi it needs to include more than fifteen minutes of aliens, or weird weapons, or whatever I saw because even now I'm not sure what was going on at the end. The only reason I want a sequel is to get some clarification. Who were those "alien-esque" soldiers? Where did the gun come from? Why was this movie created? So many questions to warrant a sequel, but I don't totally know if I could watch another 2 hours of boring talking.

This movie is getting a lot of mixed reviews, and I understand that completely. IMDb has this rated as a 5.7/10 and Rotten Tomatoes is at a 63% audience score. Not good enough to make a sequel. There just isn't enough Sci-Fi, and the brotherly connection you would expect from a movie titled Kin is lame. This movie was directed by two brothers, yet the two brothers in the film aren't brotherly. Jimmy is a horrible role-model, and Eli is too young to have any connection to someone he barely knows and that is twice his age. I mean my brother and I are only five years apart in age and we sometimes don't agree on things, but if I was twice his age, then we definitely wouldn't get along. Different times and different viewpoints, and I just didn't get a whole lot of feels from these two. All I know is that I would never want a brother like Jimmy. "I just got out of jail, let's go steal some money from bad guys!" "Oh, you'll like this. Let's go watch strippers!" The kid is like thirteen years old. He should not be watching strippers, you loser.

I really don't think this movie is worth your time or money, but hey maybe you'll disagree with me and be one of the people giving this film ten stars. I don't know. All I know is I need answers to the finale of the movie, but I won't be watching this one again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment