Monday, March 25, 2019

Us

The Wilson family travels to their summer home, excited for the beach and ready to get their relaxing on. Little do they know, their summer isn't going to end as planned. When their doppelgangers show up late one night, their vacation turns from happy and fun, to a fight for survival.

Us is written and directed by Jordan Peele, who is the same person that wrote and directed Get Out. If you saw Get Out, you went into this movie ready for some serious mind-games. I have to say, I was extremely unprepared. I thought this movie was going to be a simple psychological thriller where the Wilson family has to fight their strange twins that show up out of nowhere, but that is only the beginning. I don't want to give the story away, but I will just say that the mind-games were crazy from start to finish.


You know a movie is good when you walk out and are unsure of what you just saw, but I can't decide whether I really enjoyed it or if I'm just questioning all of it still. I may need to see this one again to make sure I didn't miss anything. There's a lot that goes on and it's not a short movie. At some points I was questioning how this was going to end and when it was going to end. Regardless of that, Lupita Nyong'o gives a wonderful performance, and the kids do a great job as well. Shahadi Wright Joseph, who plays the daughter, has some crazy eyes when she's paying the doppleganger Umbrae. She runs a little strangely, but who am I to judge...I don't run. Ha!

If you're a scary movie fan, go see this one at least once. You'll probably leave feeling like you need to see it again as well. As for me, I'm thinking I'll wait for it to be on Netflix before I see it again, but you never know. Sometimes I just need a good movie to go see, and there's not been a lot of those so far this year.

IMDb:  7.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes:  69%
Hayley: hmmmm...6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment