Sunday, March 18, 2018

Love, Simon

Love, Simon is about a boy named Simon who is gay and has not told anyone his secret, until he learns about Blue. Blue is also a closeted gay boy that is afraid of what will happen if he tells his secret. Simon tries to learn Blue's true identity, while keeping both their secrets, and finding himself along the way.

This movie is one that a lot of people won't see simply because of what it's about. To all those people who refuse to see Love, Simon, I challenge you to find the courage to go to the theater and tell that ticket seller that you are there to see Love, Simon, and then sit your butt in that comfy theater chair for the entire hour and fifty minutes of the movie. Love, Simon has a message that everyone needs to hear, and if you refuse to see this movie simply because Simon is gay, then you are exactly who needs to hear this message.

In a world where acceptance is the key to happiness, Love, Simon tells us that acceptance is not everything. It does not matter what society tells you. Whether you are gay, straight, or lesbian, or whether you are black or white, you are still You. You are still who you were meant to be. It is not a choice to be something different; it's how you feel inside that matters. Society does not get to decide who you are, and the people that love you will still love you when they know the true you. If they don't love you, then they don't deserve you. That is their problem, not yours, and you need to stand up and say here I am. What are you going to do about it?

I found out a few years ago that my best friend from college is a lesbian. I did not know this all through college. When she told me, I was a bit shocked, but I would never tell her that we couldn't be friends anymore. She is still the same beautiful, strong woman I have always known, except now she's married to another beautiful woman. They are both happy, and that is all that matters to me. Love, Simon is a movie that speaks up for people like my best friend and her wife, and I hope that people give it the chance that it deserves.

P.S. Bring tissues. I was unprepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment