Monday, October 22, 2018

Venom

Investigative journalist Eddie Brock has it all: a beautiful fiance, an awesome motorcycle, and a great job. When he takes his investigations too far, however, he loses it all and is left struggling to make things right once again. The Life Foundation is to blame for it all, so when the chance for a comeback surfaces, Eddie takes it, and ends up becoming the host of an alien symbiote. Now, Eddie and Venom have to work together to protect the world from the other symbiotes that are taking control.

I may have mentioned this before, but I LOVE Spider-man movies. We first saw this character of Venom in Spider-man 3, way back in 2007. So, when I heard about this movie dedicated to Venom, I was super excited to see it. Thank you Columbia Pictures and Sony for not disappointing! This movie is fantastic. Tom Hardy does an amazing job bringing Eddie Brock and Venom together as one joint character. The comedy in the conversations between them, and Venom's use of third person in those conversations, makes for a lot of laugh out loud moments. The CGI was exceptional as well. I was loving it.



Venom is a Marvel character, but this movie is not produced by Marvel. This is a Sony picture in association with Marvel. Because of this, Sony was able to make this movie much darker than anything we've ever seen in a Marvel film before. They push the limits on the PG-13 rating, and I'm actually surprised they didn't cross over into an R rating. They definitely could have because Venom is extremely no nonsense; tells it like he sees it.

I read into some of the critic reviews. One such review, found on the Hollywood Reporter, actually made me laugh and wish I could meet this critic in person. He says that this movie "feels like a throwback" and that "the writing and filmmaking are blah in every respect." I'm am in awe at these statements and at the entire article in general (read it here). This critic clearly loves Marvel and hates Sony, or he's just an idiot. The entire article he has written is bashing on the movie. It has this feeling of extreme distaste and impatience with the whole thing. I'm sorry you had to sit through this two hour long movie and do your jobTodd McCarthy, you famous Hollywood Reporter you. I'm sure it was a horrible experience.

My only complaint with this movie is that it confused me a little bit. At first I thought that Venom was here to take over the world with all the other symbiotes, but then all of a sudden him and Eddie are trying to stop the symbiotes. Maybe this is something that I should have understood from the comics, but I never read the comics. There wasn't enough background on why Venom is the way he is or what his intentions are, and that's really the only thing I wish I knew. Maybe someone can simply explain it to me sometime?

Don't listen to the critics on this one, listen to me. Go see this movie. Everyone besides the critics are loving it. IMDb gives it a 7/10 and Rotten Tomatoes is at an 88%. This film has grossed more money than they spent producing it because Marvel fans cannot stop talking about it. Don't be a loser and not know the up-and-up on Marvel!

P.s. There are two end credit scenes, but the first one is the only one worth watching. The second one is a scene from the animated Spider-man movie that is coming out...that even I have no intention of seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment